Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Please consider the following image:

enter image description here

I randomly wandered into the telecom room at work a while ago, and I noticed these strange looking terminals. How do you terminate a wire like this? Is there a certain tool to create the coil around the terminal? What do I call this sort of terminal?

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

This is called Wire Wrap. The low resistance connection is made by cold-welding the wire to the pin at the corners of the pin.

There is a special tool for making wire wrap connections.

enter image description here

Here's a tutorial video. [Nothing special about it. This is the first one I've come across.]

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.