Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking at a datasheet for NJM2073 (dual low-voltage power amplifier). On the fourth page, there is a sample circuit; right at the V+ input there is a symbol that looks like a capacitor. However, it looks like it is shaded in. What is that?

Enter image description here

share|improve this question
It's an electrolytic capacitor. – Leon Heller Apr 5 '14 at 1:36
What @LeonHeller said. – Connor Wolf Apr 5 '14 at 1:51
It is a Japanese electrolytic capacitor – Peter Bennett Apr 5 '14 at 2:14
@PeterBennett A "Japanese electrolytic capacitor" is not the same thing as the symbol that Japanese use for a capacitor. A "Japanese electrolytic capacitor" is like referring to a component manufactured in Japan when this is just about different standards for representing components in a schematic. – alexan_e Apr 5 '14 at 7:56
@alexan_e: Sorry - I should have used a smiley :-) – Peter Bennett Apr 5 '14 at 15:59
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Intercontinental symbols for fixed capacitor from http://sound.westhost.com

enter image description here

and from http://www.learnabout-electronics.org

enter image description here

and a very old one....

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.