Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the correct name for those little jumper cables, with a small socket each end, designed to go between header pins on PCBs. A bit like these, but singles


share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

It's fairly common to call them "dupont" cables regardless of how many conductors it contains.

share|improve this answer
Thanks - never heard the name even after decades in the business! Maybe it's mainly a US thing. Anyway, I found some (overpriced) on RS using combinations of words like "jumper" and "pcb" etc. However, entering you suggestion brought up a load of cheap stuff on eBay - ideal! – user32885 Apr 30 '14 at 10:02
I don't think it actually ever had a specific name until someone got tired of it not having a name and pulled one out of thin air. – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Apr 30 '14 at 10:03
A vast amount on www.dx.com – user32885 Apr 30 '14 at 10:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.