Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am working on a hobby circuit. And got a quick question.

I am using regular mini DC Motor as DC Generator. If the motor is rotated one side it generates few volts. If the motor is rotated in opposite direction the output polarity is switched. Which is normal.

I would like to know how/what circuit to connect to output of Motor, such that if the motor was rotated in any direction, the polarity of the output after the circuit is same.

share|improve this question
You could use a full wave rectifier (4 diodes). – Matthijs May 12 '14 at 12:09
@Matthijs Thanks Matt :) – user715993 May 12 '14 at 13:04

You can use a simple bridge rectifier to get what you want. This requires that you must rotate the motors with a minimum speed so that the diodes are forward biased and the output is available.enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Right idea, but for this application you really want Schottky diodes to minimize the voltage drop of the full wave bridge. – Olin Lathrop May 12 '14 at 12:23
Thanks @OlinLathrop I forgot that. This will also help reduce the minimum rmp required to get voltage on the output side. – Damon May 12 '14 at 12:27
@OlinLathrop Thanks :) – user715993 May 12 '14 at 13:02
Yes, 1N5817 would work just fine given that your motor doesn't produce a current more than 1A. – Damon May 12 '14 at 13:07

What you want is called a full wave rectifier. An explanation can be found here http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~dsculley/tutorial/diodes/diodes3.html. You can build them up out of 4 diodes, or you can buy modules with all 4 ready made. Be aware, though, that in either phase your motor voltage will be reduced by ~1.4 to 2 volts due to the voltage drop across two diodes (you can reduce this by using Schottky diodes, but they cost more).

share|improve this answer
Thank you for your reply friend! – user715993 May 12 '14 at 13:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.