Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm really curious to know what are these holes on this mobile PCB:


Are these vias? I doubt they are vias. If these are not vias then what are they? What's the usage of these holes?

share|improve this question
up vote 22 down vote accepted

What you have circled are vias. At that size they're commonly called microvias. The technique being used is called via stitching. Many vias are tying the copper pour on the outer layer to an internal ground plane. This is an essential technique for EMC in RF and other high speed circuits.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.