I'm a web developer / system admin and I have a client project with a project that is just beyond me. In a nutshell, we need to the following capabilities:
- Track the status of hundreds of Passive Infrared Sensors
- Track the status of hundreds of lights (not sure yet whether it will be a simple BOOL value or a percentage / brightness value)
- Trigger any of the lights individually or in groups from a main console and eventually from mobile apps
- Log all of the state changes for the motion sensors and lights
- Generate reports and pattern analysis based off the logs
The programming involved will be cake. I understand how that works.. but where do I even start in controlling lights and tracking that many streams of external input? What hardware and software should I be looking at? Can I build this on top of a linux server for easier access from a mobile device?