I am looking to build (or have manufactured) around 500 iPad like touch screen tablets.
The tablet should do the following:
- When the tablet is powered on it simply loads up a website, say mine.example.com.
- It cannot load any other website or do anything else.
- It is simply a single website screen.
- It has no interface beyond the website.
- It doesn't need jacks, usb ports etc.
- It should have enough processor power to run videos but nothing beyond.
- It doesn't even need storage beyond say 10 MB.
- It will of course need network connectivity. This should preferably be provided via a 3G SIM card, or else via Wi-Fi.
I have four questions:
1: What would be the cost involved to build/have-manufactured each such device?
2: Are there any manufacturers who would be willing to take such a small order of 500 pieces?
3: What would be the cost difference between 3G and Wi-Fi options?
4: What would be the cost difference between capacitive and resistive touch screen options?
I would also greatly appreciate any input on the hardware specs that would be perfect for this kind of device.
As a reference, what I need is an even more stripped down version of this: http://techcrunch.com/2008/07/21/we-want-a-dead-simple-web-tablet-help-us-build-it/