Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

These are called "Zwerg-Stecker" and "Zwerg-Kupplung" respectively in German, but I've never seen them anywhere else. It basically translates to "dwarf plug" and "dwarf socket".

enter image description hereenter image description here

It is a 2.6mm mini banana plug system, I remember seeing them on some lab equipment in Uni, but never seen them anywhere else. We use banana plugs quite often, whether it's 4mm or the smaller 2mm system. Unfortunately, making cables ourselves it sometimes a bit of a hassle, since they're more or less designed to be pre-confectionated wires. Now, I was thinking of introducing this Zwerg system, since it is designed to be not confectionated at all. Except, you're supposed to cut your own wires and put the plugs on it.

It has a weird size, though. 2.6mm and a very short plug. I haven't seen complete cables made with Zwerg plugs, but I have seen them quite often in lab equipment, where people would make their own canbles due to various lengths, etc...

I don't know the manufacturer, I've seen them in a couple of electronics stores, but that's pretty much it.

share|improve this question
I've never seen these plugs, but I've often used what we call "pin-tip" jacks, which are a fairly small alternative to bananas. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "confectionated." If that were a word in English, it would probably mean "sugar-coated". – The Photon Jan 30 '12 at 19:33
These were very popular in Asia in some electronics labs I've been to. Don't seem to find them around the US now, though. – Mahmoud Al-Qudsi Jan 30 '12 at 20:18
@ThePhoton Translating through italian (:D) means something that comes directly with a closed case from the manufacturer, and not suited for unmounting or modifying (if you think to bananas - amazing we use the same name :P - they haven't got the screw that allows to extract the wire). – clabacchio Jan 30 '12 at 20:33
I've seen bananas in multiple styles: pre-assembled and molded to the wire insulation; solder-assembled, and with screws like in OP's photo. I haven't seen pin-tips with the screw-down attachment, but I have seen both solder-assembled and molded-on styles. – The Photon Jan 30 '12 at 21:39
It would be nice to have an EE dictionary. – Al Kepp Jan 31 '12 at 0:32
up vote 3 down vote accepted

They are mini-banana plugs and jacks. Pomona is one company that makes them:



Digi-Key stocks them.

share|improve this answer
Hmm, it seems those are called "mini-banana" plugs and jacks. I was calling the 2mm system "mini" and this just "Zwerg". (2mm banana system and Zwerg are incompatible, mind you.) – polemon Jan 31 '12 at 7:55

Those look very much like the connectors that Märklin uses for their model trains, the good old analog version.

share|improve this answer
+1. I've seen them a lot on electric toys, but hardly in any lab or on any sort of electronics test equipment. – zebonaut Jan 31 '12 at 12:31

You can purchase them here.

LGB makes them for help with wiring up their train lighting systems and much more.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.