Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm an electrical engineering student doing an intership at the moment and I was hoping that some of you might be able to help me out with some things I'm having trouble with:

Is a switch- disconnector just another name for a disconnect switch?

Are these circuit elements operated manually (by hand)?

If regular switching is required in the circuit, will it be necessary to also incorporate contactors in series?

share|improve this question
I'm not sure what you mean by your last question. Could you please expand upon it? – embedded.kyle Jun 14 '12 at 15:23

I hadn't heard of a "switch-disconnector" before. But googling that takes you right to ABB's disconnect switches. So I'd say the two are synonymous. I've also heard them called isolators or isolation switches.

They are usually operated by hand and used to ensure that a system or circuit is completely de-energized before maintenance is performed on it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.