Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'd like to sprinkle my house with 1-wire sensors (temperature - everywhere, humidity and flooding - in the basement), but the only wire in most locations is the power-socket (110V)...

Can a 1-wire microlan simply coexist with the AC power without short-circuiting and without the readings getting lost? If not, perhaps, HomePlug AV devices can be used?

share|improve this question

migrated from diy.stackexchange.com Nov 20 '12 at 2:15

This question came from our site for contractors and serious DIYers.

The device you inquired about, the DS18B20, can not be directly connected to AC power circuits. It requires a DC supply of 3.0 to 5.5V. Some sort of power-line modem or interface circuit, at a minimum, would be necessary to connect a raw sensor IC such as this to an AC power line circuit. Anything that involves communications over 110V AC power mains should not be considered a "do it yourself" kind of projet. I would suggest sticking to the Home Plug AV devices you mentioned, or similar commercial power line communications devices.

share|improve this answer
Any idea, if HomePlug AV devices can be used to simply pass a signal (simulating 4 twisted pairs found in an Ethernet cable), or must I use actual Ethernet protocol to get data through the AC-power wiring? Thanks! – Mikhail T. Dec 4 '12 at 14:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.