Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a transistor in a guitar amp with the label ER3055 that needs to be replaced. I asked about another transistor that I needed to replace in a post a few days ago here and I tried using NTE to find a replacement. What I found was that, while nobody seems to have a replacement for "ER3055", there are replacements for "3055" or "2N3055". Is the "ER" prefix something like a manufacturer code (for an extinct brand) or is this something that is crucial to the transistor specs? The specs I found for 2N3055 here seem to match up with with the other transistors in the amp so I think that the "ER" is not necessary but I wanted to check with other people first.


share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

The 2N3055 is quite a common output transistor for audio gear (I actually have a bunch of boards sitting right here for a preamp I am designing that use 2N3055's)

I think it was RCA who orignally made them, but now they are made by ST, On Semi, etc. From what I have recall the specs can vary very slightly between manufacturers (although I just checked the ST and ON Semi datasheets quickly and couldn't see any difference at all between them) but it's extremely unlikely to be enough to affect the performance of your amp (unless it's really being pushed to the limit)

So the answer is yes, any 2N3055 should work fine as a replacement in your amp. Note that the collector is actually the case itself in the TO-3 package, so make sure you bolt it firmly to whatever it's mounted on to get a good electrical contact (if the legs are soldered to a PCB, bolt first, then solder the legs to avoid putting strain on the solder when you fit the bolts if you were to do it the other way around)

share|improve this answer
Thank you for your help! – Mike Stumpf Jan 3 '13 at 2:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.