Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm trying to understand what the following symbol is for. It's found in this schematic.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
I suspect it's a voltage regulator of some sort? – josef.van.niekerk Jan 10 '13 at 17:15
I think I saw that used in this circuit – Phil Frost Jan 10 '13 at 17:25
What it means is the person who drew that schematic is terrible at drawing readable schematic symbols. – Connor Wolf Jan 11 '13 at 4:18
@Fake Name Hehe! I guess he works for ST Microelectronics. :) – josef.van.niekerk Jan 11 '13 at 7:26
@josef.van.niekerk - I think you mean Olimex (They're the people who drew that schematic, and yes, their schematics are pretty much universally horrible). – Connor Wolf Jan 11 '13 at 8:08
up vote 9 down vote accepted

This device is a transient voltage suppressor for USB D+ and D- signals. It protects the device from static voltages that may develop when inserting or removing USB devices to connectors.

The four diodes (on side) act as clamping diodes that conduct to suppress ESD.

This or similar device can be found in this Semtech catalog

share|improve this answer
Awesome, that's really clever, I didn't think of ESD at all. – josef.van.niekerk Jan 11 '13 at 6:51

Looks like electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection on a USB port. Any port that a user can touch should have protection against finger zaps frying the chip connected to it.

Have a look at the datasheet for TI TPD2E001 to get an idea what the specs might be.


share|improve this answer

it is 5 symbols enclosed in one device. 4 normal diodes in a bridge configuration with a zener diode in the middle for simple regulation.

share|improve this answer
I don't think it's for regulation; more probably over-voltage or ESD protection of some interconnection. – Brian Drummond Jan 10 '13 at 17:19
Regardless, it's still 4 diodes in bridge configuration with a Zener in the middle. – dext0rb Jan 10 '13 at 17:24
I was going to say, "balanced modulator". I'm glad you guys saved me the embarrassment. I'm going with the USB answers. The "pass-through" design supports that notion. – gbarry Jan 10 '13 at 18:29

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.