Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The Wavetek 144 HF frequency generator has an unusual power receptacle that I cannot identify. The link references the manual, which does not name the part. I'm not sure it isn't proprietary. Here is an image of the socket.

socket image

Is it an IEC 6320-C5 connector?

Failing finding a replacement, any advice on the best/safest way to adapt a regular power tail for this device?


My friends and I discussed the options presented here, and finally decided that we would be able to modify the inlet using an IEC inlet and connector cable, trimming the IEC components rather than the nice case of the Wavetek. Thanks to Brian Drummond for the advice.

share|improve this question
Is this question hopelessly off-topic for this site? If not, please include advice on improving it when you downvote. – Don Wakefield Feb 12 '13 at 17:23
It's definitely not a C5 cloverleaf connector. – Brian Drummond Feb 12 '13 at 17:25
Identification questions tend to not get closed. If your goal is to just identify the connector, I'd delete the backstory, which isn't really relevant, and sets it up like a consumer electronics question. – Phil Frost Feb 12 '13 at 17:27
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Looks to me to be a "163" obsolete-standard line cord.

enter image description here

You may want to consider removing the existing socket and hard-wiring a locale-appropriate line cord to the instrument (at your own risk) - make sure that the 'line' goes to the fused path!

Another (perhaps safer) option would be to leave the socket in place (cutting off the wires coming from it), drilling a hole in the chassis and feeding the replacement line cord through a grommet/strain relief that's fitted in the hole.

share|improve this answer
I'm considering the second option, failing finding a suitable female plug head. If as you say it is a '163', it sounds like the chances of finding a match over-the-counter are poor. – Don Wakefield Feb 12 '13 at 18:01
Don't give up quite yet - this page cs.ubc.ca/~hilpert/e/powerConn/index.html has links suggesting possible sources including fairly recent Volex part nos. Apparently it was available with L and N swapped so check and re-wire the plug if necessary! – Brian Drummond Feb 13 '13 at 17:23
Brian, one of the sources I read suggested that swapping L and N was not always a problem, in that the device in question would simply experience a polarity/phase shift. It seems like that would apply to a function generator. Do you disagree? – Don Wakefield Feb 13 '13 at 18:51
Depends where on the planet you are. Here, you can rely on N being 0V give or take, and L being 230+-/10%. Reversing those can stress insulation layers or suppression caps, not a good idea on 40 year old gear. But YMMV. – Brian Drummond Feb 13 '13 at 18:57

A bit of digging and...

Scroll down to the bottom of this page

share|improve this answer
Thanks! I also found a supplier through Ebay by searching for "Belden 17952". I've since taken apart the Wavetek, and it seems like a safe/simple task to replace the inlet with an IEC connector, so I may end up doing that. – Don Wakefield Feb 13 '13 at 18:48
Heh, my only problem with the IEC approach is it probably involves filing corners on what looks like a nice stove-enamelled panel... – Brian Drummond Feb 13 '13 at 18:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.