Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am working with speakers for the first time. There are two lines, one black and one white. Are they the same? Is one defined as hi-voltage and another as low?

share|improve this question
up vote 14 down vote accepted

No, they're not the same.

If you apply a positive voltage to the white terminal (relative to the black terminal), the speaker cone will move one way, and if the voltage is negative (making the black terminal more positive), it will move the other way. Audio signals are AC, which means that the speaker cone moves both directions from its neutral position as it operates.

The absolute polarity of the movement becomes important if you have more than one speaker, in which case, you want all of the speaker cones moving the same way at the same time. This is called "phasing", and if you get it wrong, some really strange things can happen to the sound. This applies both to multiple speakers in the same cabinet, as well as multichannel sound systems (e.g., stereo or surround-sound) with multiple cabinets.

That's why the terminals have distinctive markings.

share|improve this answer
Thanks so much! Very helpful! – Bitharp Feb 20 '13 at 20:06
By convention we call one + and the other - – Warren P Feb 21 '13 at 1:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.