Sign up ×
Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free.

I am trying to make a high voltage measurement on an industrial sputtering machine. The voltages are in the 50V to 1000V range. Right now, we're using a Fluke DMM because we need a true floating voltage measurement (there's a lot of random common-mode noise that can't be eliminated). It works great, but it is battery powered and doesn't have any computer output capability.

We'd really like to replicate this function with a powered meter that can talk to a computer, so the data can be automatically logged. I've read a lot about this (although I still understand little). I understand that, in order to get a good floating, differential measurement, the meter must be well electrically isolated from our chassis with all the common mode noise and also from its own power signal.

If I could find something that could make this measurement and scale it to, say, a 0-10V output, I would be enthralled. Any suggestions or educations would be appreciated!

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I just wanted to follow up.

I've finally found a device that can do this job. I just wanted to post in case anyone happens upon this thread, searching for the same thing:

APD HV-DC High Voltage DC to DC Transmitters, Isolated, Field Rangeable

which is made by API-USA.

share|improve this answer

46Fluke (US), Multimeters, select a multimeter Then 1000 V USB thumb drive logging gives the 8846A With USB interface 789, 289, 287 are possibilities. What EN61010-1 CAT do you need?

share|improve this answer
I tried to edit a typo, but couldn't because of the length restriction. Anyhow, the product is 8846A, not 8864A. – Dave Feb 7 '11 at 14:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.