Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am having some problem with one of the boards I am working on, the noise from the inductor is coupling to an analog circuit and I was wondering if there are inductors that has a ground shield. I have seen several research papers but no products.

Also, is there a good way to deal with this type of noise issues from inductors other than shielding? I am looking for general direction.

share|improve this question
Try a toroidal inductor? – Matt Young Feb 6 '14 at 2:42
Which noise from an inductor? I can think of more than a couple mechanisms by which a circuit with an inductor might be "noisy". – Phil Frost Feb 6 '14 at 3:14
@PhilFrost Essentially, if I cover the inductor with a copper tape and ground this tape, the noise goes away, so I am assuming it is not common mode and my sensitive analog is picking up the noise. analog circuit is an amplifier that has a lot of amplification (6M times) and I see the additional noise at the output due to this. – Ktc Feb 6 '14 at 3:52
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Magnetically shielded inductors are common. Ones with a core shaped like a spool from sewing thread have an open magnetic circuit and they therefore have more leakage inductance and can couple to conductors outside. Things like pot cores and toroids are better.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Electrostatically shielded inductors are not very common. You have to be careful not to create a shorted turn that would couple with leakage inductance. Electrostatic shields (and double shields) internally between windings of a transformer, for example, are relatively common.

enter image description here

Sometimes you will see a copper band on the outside of a transformer-- that is actually magnetic shielding (called a flux band).

share|improve this answer
Could you point me out to an example of a magnetically shielded inductor? – Ktc Feb 6 '14 at 2:52
See my answer above. – Spehro Pefhany Feb 6 '14 at 2:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.