What options are available beyond marettes to join wires together? I am looking for something that holds 3-5 wires and will be within a portable box (ie will hold together if moved around a bit).

Is this push-in connector a fair approach?

enter image description here

This is apart of a digitally controlled power-bar/box I'm making for an art installation.

  • \$\begingroup\$ What are marettes? \$\endgroup\$ Commented Mar 8, 2014 at 19:39
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @joshjingles I would also consider lever nuts like this. It's easier to remove the wire from a lever nut than from the push-in connector. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Mar 8, 2014 at 19:54
  • \$\begingroup\$ @LeonHeller: marrettes (wire nuts) are things used in North American AC wiring to hold wires together. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Mar 8, 2014 at 20:27
  • \$\begingroup\$ @joshjingles: are you using solid or stranded wire? I don't think Marrettes are recommended for stranded wire. I would probalby use crimp-on terminals and a screw terminal block for stranded wire. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Mar 8, 2014 at 20:29
  • \$\begingroup\$ Are you planning on providing a box and strain relief? None of these things are really suitable for use outside some kind of an enclosure, especially if it's not low voltage. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Mar 8, 2014 at 21:13

2 Answers 2


By join wires together, do you mean connect them all to one point, or connect them in pairs? If you are talking about one point, I would recommend a busbar, something like this (from my local electronics store). For connecting pairs of wires together resiliently, try using a screw terminal, which come in 50 bazillion kinds (to find some, try this).

  • \$\begingroup\$ @NickAlexeev (1) Thanks for adding the link! (2) I was going to turn it into a proper answer once I got the answers to the important questions. \$\endgroup\$
    – felixphew
    Commented Mar 8, 2014 at 21:40
  • \$\begingroup\$ You're welcome. The link was there all along. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Mar 8, 2014 at 21:41
  • \$\begingroup\$ @NickAlexeev No, you added it in your edit - I looked at the diff! \$\endgroup\$
    – felixphew
    Commented Mar 8, 2014 at 22:04
  • \$\begingroup\$ That edit was made way back. The original version also had a link. (Just for the sake of historical correctness. This is actually not very important.) \$\endgroup\$ Commented Mar 8, 2014 at 22:06

If these are power wires like electricians deal with, then you might be looking for something called a wire nut. These are plastic "cap" looking thingies that have a springy metal winding inside. You bundle 2 or 3 wires together, then screw the cap on. The spring holds the wires together, and the wires end up getting twisted together a bit.

Wire nuts are approved for power connections in junction boxes by the electrical code, so these things really work. They come in different sizes, and it's important to use a wire nut only for the number and size of wires it is rated for.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.