I have a chip on one of my boards, and I cannot identify it. I tried differnet variations of search patterns but I cannot find it anywhere. The marking on the chip are in three rows as following: 0270000 DCP1227 0601

It seems to be 12 pins total, in groups of three pins in each corner. chip

I am wondering if the reason I cannot find this chip is because the manufacturer was bought out or went out of business?

I suspect this to be a DC/DC converter from Burr-Brown (bought by TI back in 2000). But I could not find any information about the markings in any online document. I wonder if anyone has an old catalog with a table of product numbers and markings of BB?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I think an image of the component would help identify it. \$\endgroup\$
    – alexan_e
    Mar 30, 2014 at 23:00
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks, I just added a picture. Its from the side to make both the markings and the pinout from the side available. \$\endgroup\$ Mar 30, 2014 at 23:31
  • \$\begingroup\$ BTW, I suspect it to be a Burr-Brown DC converter. But I could not find this exact part number in any datasheet. \$\endgroup\$ Mar 30, 2014 at 23:34
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ What else is it connected to? \$\endgroup\$
    – dext0rb
    Apr 2, 2014 at 20:44
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ What's the board it's on? \$\endgroup\$
    – Passerby
    Apr 2, 2014 at 23:31

2 Answers 2


It might be a custom IC made just for the company whose board it is on. I ran into this once without realizing it. I made an educated guess about the manufacturer, and even called them up for help. Their response was something along the lines of "This is a custom part for one of our customers. How do you have it?" I don't remember what I said in response, but I ended the conversation quickly.

If you are able to, remove the part from its pads. This will help you:

  • Check if there are any markings on the bottom of the IC.
  • Put it in a test environment to see if it does what you think it does. Be very careful with this though, as you will likely burn out the IC if you guess wrong.
  • \$\begingroup\$ In this world of surplus parts, that's very common. I've gotten that a couple of times with character displays. You just gotta find the closest generic part that manufacturer sells and assume most of the stuff is close enough in specs. AFAIK, even big companies like TI does custom parts. \$\endgroup\$
    – Passerby
    Apr 2, 2014 at 23:29
  • \$\begingroup\$ I find it hard to believe that they have the $ power to request a special design IC. I just do not see them having enough income to request something like that - after all, changing a mask alone costs several $k's... I dont want to remove the part as it does not have "leg" pins. Its going to be hard to take off and put back. \$\endgroup\$ Apr 3, 2014 at 13:35
  • \$\begingroup\$ Decent iron, flux and solderwick = easy peasy. \$\endgroup\$
    – raaymaan
    Apr 8, 2014 at 16:36
  • \$\begingroup\$ But I want to put it back in afterwards, and those are not "pins", but more like pads. Its going to be somewhat harder than the usual soldering work. \$\endgroup\$ Apr 8, 2014 at 18:45
  • \$\begingroup\$ Although this answer is not giving me any special direct solution, it is the only one here, and I would feel if the points would just disappear. But Thank you for the effort and discussion. \$\endgroup\$ Apr 9, 2014 at 19:47

I believe that is a 27MHz EPSON SG8002 oscillator equivalent

  • \$\begingroup\$ This is correct. It's an oscillator 27MHz. This answer should not be marked as negative. \$\endgroup\$ Jan 4, 2016 at 23:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.