I need a phone splitter (RJ11) to split 1 signal into 4 or more outputs. That's no problem, those can be bought in any store. But I was wondering if I can use a RJ45 cat6 patch-panel?

  • \$\begingroup\$ You mean like one you can put keystones into? \$\endgroup\$ Apr 5, 2014 at 23:07
  • \$\begingroup\$ A RJ45 cat6 patch-panel \$\endgroup\$
    – jerone
    Apr 5, 2014 at 23:12
  • \$\begingroup\$ What did you intend on using the patch panel for? \$\endgroup\$ Apr 5, 2014 at 23:13
  • \$\begingroup\$ To connect to another patch panel that's already build in. \$\endgroup\$
    – jerone
    Apr 5, 2014 at 23:14
  • \$\begingroup\$ Then what does splitting have to do with any of this? \$\endgroup\$ Apr 5, 2014 at 23:17

1 Answer 1


RJ11, RJ14, and RJ45 are connector types. Cat6 is a cable standard, indicating individual wire count and minimum specs.

Phone cable is typically Cat3, but Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6 and Cat6e can be used in a pinch, if you don't care about the extra cost. Each one is better (and more expensive) than the last. Cat5 is used all the time for phone wiring, as it can carry 4 paired signals instead of Cat3's 2 paired signals.

As such, a Cat6 patch panel can be used. It's just a way to patch cables after all, like a breadboard, but (hopefully) higher quality than a cat3 panel.

If you actually mean use RJ45 connectors, then you woul have to make custom cables with rj45 on one end and rj11 on the other, either male or female. RJ45 does not fit in a RJ11 hole, and RJ11 was not designed to properly mate with a RJ45 hole.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.