We are currently developing a product and now the "idea" has come up to integrate Profibus since it is quite used in that specific area. Now I was wondering if anyone has made such a product. If I understand correctly, Profibus is actually a RS-485 bus with some additions (especially in layer 2).
According to my research, our device would probably be a DPV-0 slave (Slave device, cyclical data exchange). We are intending to only produce low quantities of this product (max. 200 pcs / year). The whole product is a small sized machine, cost will be around 1k-2k €/pc.
Two options exist:
- Implement the protocol stack in software and be limited to lower baudrates + the risk of not being fully standard conform.
- Buy a specific IC, e.g. the VPC3+S from Profichip and only handle the required part manually
Now for the actual questions:
- Will we need to be a Profibus Member to sell our product?
- As far as I understand, every manufacturer needs to create a GSD file for his product, are there any tools available for creating this file?
- How can I easily set up a test environment?
- Are there any other fabricators of Proficbus ICs compared to Profichip (not only RS-485 transceivers)?
- Has anyone already implemented the protocol in software? What were the main challenges?