I have here a PowerFilm 10 Watt F15-600 Solar Panel, and attached to the panel is this connector:

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

The male end attached to the panel has a little green rubber gasket on it and the female end goes to a 12V female "port" into which you can put a 12V male cigarette adapter.

Notice how there is a gap in the right-side of the male plug and how there is a corresponding slot in the female one so that the polarity won't be reversed. Also, the clip won't attach if it was reversed.

I am just wondering if there's a place I could get more of these female ends so I can make more water-resistant attachments to the solar panel. The socket is a pretty good design, but I wonder if it is a proprietary design.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Unfortunately I think you're out of luck. If you have access to a 3D printer you may be able to model and print a copy. \$\endgroup\$
    – nanogru
    Commented Apr 20, 2014 at 3:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ That looks like some of the connectors you see on modern cars. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Apr 20, 2014 at 3:40
  • \$\begingroup\$ That would be a fun project but there seems to be a low return on investment. The other side of the female end has a folding snappy sleeve thing and also has rubber bits where the cables go in. I can't actually figure out how to take it apart properly. \$\endgroup\$
    – Steven Lu
    Commented Apr 20, 2014 at 3:52
  • \$\begingroup\$ @ConnorWolf Can you recall where you found some of those? Just the stuff found on various electrical wiring on various vehicles, I presume. "proprietary design" sounds like a good bet, and I'd have to get quite lucky to find suitable replacement parts, I guess. \$\endgroup\$
    – Steven Lu
    Commented Apr 20, 2014 at 3:54
  • \$\begingroup\$ Looks like @NickAlexeev found them in his answer. I think I saw them somewhere like r/justrolledintotheshop. Not a particularly linkable resource. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Apr 20, 2014 at 4:30

1 Answer 1


This looks like a connector from Weather Pack family.

enter image description here

These connectors are often used in American cars and motorcycles. So, they are fairly common in the US. For instance, an auto parts store near my house carries them.

  • \$\begingroup\$ The only way to adequately express my gratitude at this point is with a healthy smattering of expletives. It is quite easy to find these connectors on e.g. eBay now that we know what to search for. \$\endgroup\$
    – Steven Lu
    Commented Apr 20, 2014 at 5:27
  • \$\begingroup\$ @StevenLu Folks here on EE.SE were able to identify a lot more obscure connectors than yours. When it comes to connectorology, EE.SE has got some brain trust. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Apr 22, 2014 at 18:58
  • \$\begingroup\$ Yup! I knew i picked the right place to ask the question \$\endgroup\$
    – Steven Lu
    Commented Apr 22, 2014 at 23:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.