I want to measure the current to a device using a current camp. I have a mains extension cable I plug the device in and I strip the mains extension cable to reveal the live, neutral and ground wires. I then clamp the current clamp around the live wire. All fine.

I'm thinking that maybe there are commercial extension cables with the 3 wires pre-exposed (albeit in their own insulation) so I don't have to strip myself? I've tried searching but I'm not sure what those cables would be called or if there are other solutions? My main concern is with the safety of the DIY solution because I have to provide it to others.


closed as off-topic by Andy aka, AndrejaKo, Joe Hass, Phil Frost, Leon Heller Apr 29 '14 at 11:10

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ This is an electrical engineering site and not an extension of radio shack or Maplin. \$\endgroup\$ – Andy aka Apr 29 '14 at 10:14
  • \$\begingroup\$ user2633388 What is wrong about stripping a cable by yourself? \$\endgroup\$ – Cornelius Apr 29 '14 at 10:16
  • \$\begingroup\$ Unfortunately, questions asking for specific product recommendations are considered off-topic here. \$\endgroup\$ – AndrejaKo Apr 29 '14 at 10:16
  • \$\begingroup\$ I don't really want a product recommendation. Just what it is called. I have searched but cannot find what people with current clamps use. I can strip myself but it makes other people (who I give the device to) nervous, so I wanted a product \$\endgroup\$ – user2633388 Apr 29 '14 at 10:27

The mainstream multimeter and current clamp manufacturers such as Fluke, etc. sell the device you are looking for. Check DigiKey, Mouser, Grainger, etc. It is not an extension cord per se, but rather a plastic fixture which connects in-line with your appliance's AC mains plug. The conductors are divided inside this fixture and an aperture is provided to insert the arms of the clamp such that it encircles just one of the conductors. Often this fixture is supplied with the AC Clamp when you purchase it. But, it can also be purchased separately.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.