I am hacking a circuit and it has this black plastic thing (see picture below) that hides part of the circuit.

enter image description here

How can I remove them to see what is inside?

What they are for? I think they are for chips that have no packaging, is this right?

What the real name of this?

Thanks for your help.


This is known as Chip-On-Board (COB) technology, the black material is epoxy resin, it is the same as the black material on ICs. Note than the bonding wires encased in the resin are very thin and fragile. COB technology is sometimes used to prevent reverse engineering.

This YouTube video demonstrates a process for removing the resin packaging on ICs using a hotplate, nitric acid, acetone, and a rotary tool.

This video YouTube video demonstrates a simpler (but more destructive) method for removing the resin from a COB, using just a heat-gun and a hobby knife. This method destroys the bonding wires.

And here's a related question, with more information about COBs: What kind of components are black blobs on a PCB?


Red fuming nitric acid is supposedly the stuff to use. It's very nasty.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.