I need to mount a mini toggle or rocker switch to the outside surface of a box. For various reasons I cannot drill a hole, so the entire switch needs to be freestanding or glued to the surface. (There is a small hole for the wires to go into the box, but that's it.)

I remember seeing self-contained switches with nice plastic back covers, but I can't find any such components on the market. Can anyone recommend a good way to cover up the exposed contacts and even provide a nice flat surface?

  • \$\begingroup\$ How big is the hole for the wires? There are toggle switches that only require a 3/16 inch hole. \$\endgroup\$ – Barry Jun 11 '14 at 23:51
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Barry the position of the existing hole is not where I want to place the switch \$\endgroup\$ – Barry Rosenberg Jun 12 '14 at 1:09

Use heat-shrink tubing. Use a small size that will shrink to a snug fit on the wires and terminals, and a larger size to cover the body of the switch, and extend over the wires.

If the switch carries 120 or 240 VAC, I would prefer to add a box to contain the switch and wires, but the heat-shrink technique should be OK (not ideal) for low voltage.

| improve this answer | |
  • \$\begingroup\$ The switch will indeed be carrying 120 VAC, so it sounds like a box of some kind is a better idea. The trouble is finding something compact. \$\endgroup\$ – Barry Rosenberg Jun 12 '14 at 1:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.