As some of you know - Raspberry Pi model B has only 100mA available on USB ports. I want to connect USB modem (that takes > 500mA sometimes) to my Raspberry without powered USB hub.
- Raspberry Pi with USB ports that can deliver 100mA (recommended)
- USB modem with high power demands (theoretically: 500mA, tested: sometimes 650mA)
- 2A USB power supply with 2 USB ports (it's 2A total or 2x 1A, doesn't matter)
- USB extension wire
I want to:
- carefully remove some sheath (outer "insulation") from USB extension wire
- cut +5V wire
- connect modem +5V directly to my power supply
- leave +5V wire from Raspberry not connected
Like on picture pictore below:
Can I connect power to USB device from source other than USB port, where device is connected?