I would like to drop a 240V DC voltage to a 5V DC voltage. The 5V stage needs less than 5mA in current.
The solutions I looked at are:
- Resistor Divider (Not really interesting because of the power to dissipate)
- Voltage Regulator (240V to 5V is hard to find, if it actually exists)
- Buck Converter (I don't know well enough those parts to use them in a design)
- DC-DC Switching (a bit expensive)
Ideally, I would like something not too expensive. It could be something to build by myself.
Personally, I thought about mixing solutions 1 and 2:
- dividing the voltage from 240V to 30V with a resistor divider
- then regulating the 30V to 5V with a voltage regulator
What are you guys thinking about it? Do you have others solutions? Do you know parts that could help me?
Is the solution really different if the 5V stage draws 50mA instead of 5mA?
DC voltage as high as 240V is dangerous, I use it carefully.