I'm about to start using a chip that has one positive and two ground connections - I've only used chips with one positive and one ground before.

How should I attach the decoupling capacitor(s?) to this?

enter image description here

Should I just have one capacitor across pin 20 and 19?


2 Answers 2


If you are using something inferior to a PCB like a breadboard then the decoupler(s) should go across pins 19 and 20 with pin 8 connected to pin 19 using a short wire.

If using a single sided PCB then ditto what I said about the breadboard.

Anything with two layers or more use a ground plane and have the cap(s) close to pin 20 with its earth-end via'd thru to the ground plane.


If your layout is done correctly, you have a Vss plane under the PIC, so a decoupling cap across the Vdd and Vss pins (19 & 20) is what you need. Depending on the value of the decoupling cap you might want some additional capacitance there too, like a 0.1uF and a .01uF. Of course read the datasheet to see if they have any specific decoupling recommendations and if so follow those. As Andy said if you have a single sided or no PCB you need a low inductance connection (fat trace or big wire) between the two Vss pins.

  • \$\begingroup\$ My cap has two pins...? I think I didn't make it very clear, I meant that the chip has two grounds. \$\endgroup\$
    – user9993
    Jul 15, 2014 at 14:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ Oh, OK, I read it as one of the chip caps with 3 terminals. Will edit to fix. \$\endgroup\$
    – John D
    Jul 15, 2014 at 14:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.