Easy question here.

I'm designing a circuit which needs a switch for the main power supply. I would like a switch that keep the power OFF normally and the power ON while holding the push switch.

Is it what we called a SPST OFF-(ON) switch? How do we call the kind of switches that need to be hold?


When purchasing switches, the state in parenthesis is momentary. Thus an "OFF-(ON)" switch will normally be open/off, and require you to operate it to close/on the circuit.

The term for any such switch with a momentary position is simply called a "momentary switch" or some variation depending on type (i.e. "momentary pushbutton", "momentary toggle", etc.)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.