I'm making a function generator which works in the audio range for a college project. I'm not allowed to use microcontrollers or any digital chips. So I'm using a Wien Bridge oscillator with a pot to generate variable sine wave. It is followed by a Schmitt trigger to generate square waves and finally an integrator to get triangle wave. I found this schematic on the web for the Wein bridge:


Could you replace the two variable 100k pots by a single pot? If not, is it possible to somehow mechanically (or electrically) gang the two different 100k pots? I'm trying to avoid using a single double-ganged-potentiometer to save cost.

I would like my final design to have only two pots. One for frequency and one for amplitude.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Can you use a 555 timer? \$\endgroup\$ Jul 31 '14 at 16:36
  • \$\begingroup\$ yeah that was my first choice.i can easily get a square or triangle wave with 555.the main problem is with sine wave.i would need to filter the harmonics out of a square wave.that is difficult since i need variable frequency \$\endgroup\$ Jul 31 '14 at 16:50
  • \$\begingroup\$ OK, I posted this the other day. It needs a dual power supply, but it has much better gain control than your circuit. dropbox.com/s/lmso5zx69g2l1lc/DSCF0047.JPG \$\endgroup\$ Jul 31 '14 at 16:54
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks.But this would still need two pots I guess?Looks like i have to use a ganged pot. \$\endgroup\$ Jul 31 '14 at 17:05
  • \$\begingroup\$ Or you could do like HP did in their venerable 204 series of oscillators and use a ganged variable capacitor. \$\endgroup\$ Jul 31 '14 at 18:39

Are you forced to use the WIEN oscillator (named after Max WIEN) topology ? There are other oscillator types with single-element control - however with two operational amplifiers.

Here is a corresponding link: http://m.eet.com/media/1143038/17995-82202di.pdf

I like to mention that for frequency tuning you only have to tune one single grounded resistor. More than that, the quality of the output signal (THD) - for most applications - will be sufficient, even without additional amplitude control mechanism.

EDIT: To all who also are interested in the update of the referenced paper: Try this link (I hope it works) and search for "A novel harmonic Oscillator: GIC Resonator" : https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Lutz_Von_Wangenheim/publications

  • \$\begingroup\$ No.Any oscillator with variable sine frequency will do .Could you name or post a few alternatives \$\endgroup\$ Jul 31 '14 at 17:42
  • \$\begingroup\$ I have a pdf doc on my hard disc - but I don´t know how to submit. Any advice? \$\endgroup\$
    – LvW
    Jul 31 '14 at 17:46
  • \$\begingroup\$ I don't know.i'm new here.You could mail me at kishoresaldanha@gmail.com . \$\endgroup\$ Jul 31 '14 at 17:53
  • \$\begingroup\$ I have updated my answer above with a link to a corresponding article. However, I have an updated version which I will send to you via mail, OK? \$\endgroup\$
    – LvW
    Jul 31 '14 at 18:23

Well you could probably rig something up to turn both pots at the same time. But I think a dual ganged pot will be cheaper. I've used a Bourns dual ganged pot ~$5. http://octopart.com/partsearch#!?q=91a2ab28b
Not the first hit.

You can also use a dual switch. Or maybe a digital pot?


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.