What is the "official" name for this type of connector? (the large black box in the image)

More info...

I need the connection to connect two PCBs together as one was missing from a system that I purchased.

The connection links between the male header pins on two circuit boards and therefore needs to be female-female.

After an extensive search on-line I've come to the conclusion that without knowing what it is called I'm not going to be able to find them.

Diagram of connection

  • 13
    \$\begingroup\$ I've seen them called "gender-bender" but I'm not going to recommend that as a search term! \$\endgroup\$
    – user16324
    Commented Aug 5, 2014 at 12:45
  • \$\begingroup\$ Gender-benders, turn-arounds, <insert connector> female-to-female, and plenty of other terms not suitable for polite company... \$\endgroup\$
    – Matt Young
    Commented Aug 5, 2014 at 12:54
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ When doing this, take care to make sure your connector pin-outs do not become mirror-imaged. You could consider fabricating your own with IDC ribbon-cable connectors. \$\endgroup\$
    – Tut
    Commented Aug 5, 2014 at 12:57
  • \$\begingroup\$ I'm not sure I've ever seen these so they might not be all that common and I couldn't see anything similar at a few suppliers. If you can't locate them raised female PCB mount connectors of varying heights are common and you could solder a couple back-to-back and use epoxy to firmly secure them. \$\endgroup\$
    – PeterJ
    Commented Aug 5, 2014 at 13:26
  • \$\begingroup\$ @PeterJ These types of connectors are most common in A/V and event production where multiple systems need to be integrated together, generally in somewhat creative ways. \$\endgroup\$
    – Matt Young
    Commented Aug 5, 2014 at 14:32

1 Answer 1


They are officially called Gender Changers but they are commonly referred to as GenderBenders (which may or may not be PC these days...)

  • \$\begingroup\$ I haven't been able to find female-female ones yet (only male-male :( ) but everyone seems to be in agreement that this is the right terminology so thanks anyway! \$\endgroup\$
    – Steven
    Commented Aug 7, 2014 at 7:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.