I recently purchased a rocker power switch from RadioShack (103-R13-135B-02R-EV) and it works great. However, even when the switch is off, the small red LED stays on. Is this normal? Won't this unnecessarily drain my 9V battery?
I believe that this is the internal schematic of your switch:
Based on that, if you want to wire the switch so that the light turns on and off with the switch, you would wire it as follows:
- Pin 1: +Voltage power in
- Pin 2: Switched power for your circuit
- Pin 3: 0 volts
I'm guessing that you have pin 1 and 2 reversed, which would cause the LED to be always on.
And to answer your question, yes, if the LED is on, you are draining your battery. :)