Does anyone knows the name of the part that connects with this power adapters cable?

enter image description here

  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ barrel jack or coaxial power jack/socket \$\endgroup\$ Aug 12, 2014 at 19:37
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ If the barrel jack we would need the adapter model number anyways. It is likely a 5.5mm OD, 2.5 ID or 5.5 OD, 2.1 ID style if I had to guess. \$\endgroup\$
    – ACD
    Aug 12, 2014 at 19:41
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ CD player, keyboard, cell-phone etc... \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Aug 12, 2014 at 20:13
  • \$\begingroup\$ At the other end (neither end was specified), the part that connects with it would be called an "electrical outlet", or "single receptacle", or "duplex receptacle". \$\endgroup\$ Aug 18, 2014 at 17:24

1 Answer 1


There are a few names for these type of connectors:

  • DC Connector
  • DC Power Jack/Plug
  • Barrel Power Jack/Plug
  • Coaxial (or Co-Ax) Power Jack/Plug

Examples of parts you can get for making your own adapter cords or soldering to a PCB:

DC Power Jack:
DC Power Jack

DC Power Plug:
DC Power Plug

Regarding the size of these connectors, this excerpt from Wikipedia says it best:

The most common plugs are 5.5 mm (0.22 in) in outside diameter (OD) and 9.5 mm (0.37 in) in length. Two pin sizes are common in the jacks for this size plug body, 2.1 mm (0.083 in) and 2.5 mm (0.098 in), and the plugs should ideally match. Generic plugs are often named for the pin diameter they are designed to take.

[...] The 'tip' (i.e., the inner conductor) usually carries the positive (+) pole.

You can find these at online electronics vendors (DigiKey, Mouser and All Electronics) as well as Radio Shack if you happen to have one nearby.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.