What are good solutions for pluggable, "free-hanging" cable connections?
As simple as this question might sound, I am currently struggling in finding components that allow me to easily connect and disconnect a set of cables. This is my scenario:
I have three devices using the Modbus/RTU protocol over RS-485 three-wire cables. I have to connect and disconnect these cables from time to time: For instance:
- I have devices A, B, and C.
- A and B can be connected together, and A and C can be connected together.
- From time to time, I have to unplug A and B and connect together A and C.
Therefore I am looking for a cable connection that allows for the following:
- Initial assembly of the cable's connector/receptacle should be easy and reversible: No fancy crimping tools, no soldering. Just screwing the cable to the plug. Or a spring-cage connection.
- Connector and receptacle shall protect against polarity mismatches (i.e., there is only one way of plugging connector and receptacle together).
- Plugging and unplugging the cables shall be easy.
How do you connect cables together?