How do I regulate the output coming from a 50V transformer? At the filter's output, the transformer has 50*1.4142=70.7 volts. But this voltage of course drops as a load is applied, since the filter capacitor doesn't get a chance to charge fully.

70 volts is still manageable, as there are devices able to work at that voltage. But what if I want to do 60V DC. 80 V DC? Things start getting complicated there.

I think a 3-pin regulator is no longer suited for this. Probably a discrete zener diode + power transistor would work, but the regulation is not as good as a 3-pin device. Though, I don't mind this, as this is the supply for a closed-loop audio amplifier, which has good PSRR.

What if I wanted to do this with a buck converter? I'm familiar with the TPS40061. This device works with inputs 10 to 55V. Can a device like this be used with an auxiliary power supply, and regulate higher voltages?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Why not use a transformer with multiple secondaries so that you can get a voltage to drive a control chip for the switcher? \$\endgroup\$ – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Sep 8 '14 at 1:10
  • \$\begingroup\$ @IgnacioVazquez-Abrams well, that's one of my ideas but I haven't found a chip that states explicitly that it will woork with an auxiliary supply. \$\endgroup\$ – hjf Sep 8 '14 at 1:40
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ You probably won't. Use something like a TL494. \$\endgroup\$ – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Sep 8 '14 at 1:45

You can use a controller chip rather than a one-chip regulator.

Edit: For example, the NCP1034

You can use a boutique high voltage switching regulator chip such as the LTC3639, or a similarly 'special' high voltage linear regulator such as a TL783 (if the power requirements are minimal).

You could make a pre-regulator/voltage limiter with discrete parts.

You may be able to use an off-line style flyback regulator with a DC input (be careful the UVLO circuitry does not interfere with your relatively low input voltage requirement). Or use an isolated off-line supply directly.

If you're after a regulator for a high power audio amplifier (50V+ implies hundreds of watts output) you could use this impressively expensive and sophisticated boutique chip (LT8705). 80V max in and buck/boost. 71V is a bit too close for comfort to 80V but maybe you could get a lower voltage transformer since it's a buck-boost regulator.

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ Interesting parts. I like that word, boutique, to describe Linear parts. I usually steer clear from LT as they're ridiculousy expensive for "general" usage. I think the controller alternative would be the best. I still have to find one that explicitly says you can use an external (auxiliary) supply to power it. \$\endgroup\$ – hjf Sep 8 '14 at 3:56
  • \$\begingroup\$ Not an aux supply type, but see edit above. \$\endgroup\$ – Spehro Pefhany Sep 8 '14 at 4:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.