I would like to build an electronic device that periodically checks some web internet API giving the result through a display. This device should have:
- Wireless shield to connect to the internet through some available connection (wep, wpa)
- LCD display to show the API call results to the user
- Some way to configure it remotely via http
- A speaker to alert the user with some rudimental bell sound (Optional)
- A second LED display to visually alert the user of some new fetched result (Optional)
- Battery operated (Optional)
I have found this project that looks good but does not give any insight about the used components.
I'm just looking for some general input since I'm really a newbie in this field; is this project too complex or is it possible to realize it?
Do you have any suggestion on which components do I need to realize something like this?