I have a 12V DC power supply and have a digital guitar pedal that needs 15V DC. There are a few other 9V/5V power circuits that I created using voltage regulators and a couple of capacitors, but I'm not familiar with how to go UP in voltage.

In simple terms it's called a boost converter and, fairly efficiently takes a lower supply voltage and transforms it to a higher supply voltage. You can buy plenty of off-the-shelf items that will do the job - try ebay.

One word of warning though - if it's to be used for audio applications (such as the guitar pedal) you may need to boost up to (say) 18V then use a linear voltage regulator to generate 15V. Typical candidate would be an LM7815 for this.

  • 1
    Can you elaborate on why the boost would need to be 18 then regulated down? I assume due to ripple or noise. – JYelton Oct 1 '14 at 20:51
  • 1
    @JYelton I assume you know why and you are correct. A boost regulator will produce low/medium high frequency ripple that needs to be gotten rid of and raising the voltage to 18V then, using a linear regulator (which fights against ripple on the input supply side) should hopefully produce a clean 15v suitable for your pedal/audi device. What pedal is it BTW? If it's a rough old distortion pedal you might be able to live without the linear regulator. – Andy aka Oct 1 '14 at 20:55
  • 1
    Yes, I am familiar with this, so was commenting to verify (but also to suggest that you include the reason why in the answer). – JYelton Oct 1 '14 at 20:57
  • @JYelton - you seemed more flippant about earths on the moon and or planets LOL – Andy aka Oct 1 '14 at 20:59
  • Haha, yes, I change moods frequently and without warning! :) – JYelton Oct 1 '14 at 21:15

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.