My cows keep getting out and i have a solar powered 6volt fence charger. I have seen one that was hacked and it was very powerful. I would like to know how to do it. I could do it with one that plugs into an electrical outlet also. Any help appreciated.


Don't do it. What you're wanting to do is dangerous from a safety point of view, but also it would make you much more liable in the case of an accident. Instead, buy an electric fence that does want you want. Here's some articles that demonstrate what I'm talking about:

6-Year Old Girl Killed on Electric Fence

2000 Darwin Award Winner Kills Self with DIY electric fence

Electric Fence Kills 77 Year Old Woman

Electric Fence Laws

Now, you might be saying to yourself, "I wouldn't be as stupid as those people". But do you want to take that risk? At least if you buy a commercially made one then they have to go through all the safety testing and they assume some or most of the liability in case of a fatality. Just my opinion.


The AC powered ones are usually better. Also, check that you don't have weeds or tall grass touching the wire as that will reduce the voltage unless you have a current-controlled charger.

But before you do that, is your ground good? If you're in a dry desert-like climate, the ground is pretty poor and the cows are perhaps not being zapped hard enough, if at all. Even around here, when it's summer, the ground often dries out enough to provide a pretty weak charge.

We had a problem with a young colt getting out because he hadn't learned to respect the fence. What I ended up doing was stringing a ground wire a foot below the hot wire, so even on dry ground he would touch both and be hit hard enough to learn to stay away.

Just don't do what I did and absent-mindedly hold the hot wire in one hand while holding the ground in the other -- wakes you up in a hurry :-) That's a pretty good reason for not rolling your own right there: a buggy design could have killed me right there.

  • \$\begingroup\$ It takes a stupied person to use a 110 vote for a fence I am sure that thia person was talking about how to increase his power with a car condencer or something like that.I belive he wonted a answer not a safety talk. \$\endgroup\$
    – user5866
    Sep 26 '11 at 2:00
  • \$\begingroup\$ That's interesting. You say you held both wires with current passing through your body. What component of the fence specifically prevented that from killing you? \$\endgroup\$
    – sharptooth
    Nov 24 '11 at 12:56
  • \$\begingroup\$ Probably the low charge, which lets the voltage break down quickly, before the current upsets your heart. \$\endgroup\$
    – Christian
    Jan 20 '17 at 8:34

buy a charger that is much larger than you think it should be, well worth the extra money, ground it correctly and keep your fence line form being grounded out, if weeds or grass get on it and its big enough it won't be a problem. true grounds on the fence itself are the wire in the ground or green trees or shurbs, metal objects that touch the ground and the fence, stray peice of the wire itself on the fence and the ground etc. when you touch it and get a shock you are the ground.

a do it yourself one is a smart as a box of rocks. my charger is good for 250 miles of fence, it cost a couple hundred dollars and has worked non stop for 12 years. do the math, do it yourself and save save save, yeah right.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.