I need to take a 12MHz AC sine wave, from around 3.3V - 10V @ 10uA, output 50V, @ 1A (or more).

I have the signal generator for signal input, but I am not certain what I need for a circuit to step that up to the appropriate power level. And what if any isolation and OCPD I might need to protect my control circuit.

Should I use a toroidal transformer? Something else? Can someone point me to a specific device or module that I can buy?

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ What you are looking for is an "RF power amplifier", and they're commonly available. You need one that's rated for at least 50W (50 Vrms * 1 Arms). \$\endgroup\$
    – Dave Tweed
    Oct 10, 2014 at 14:05
  • \$\begingroup\$ I found parts, and I submitted a pair of designs for approval. Thanks Dave, for helping with what words to look for. \$\endgroup\$
    – j0h
    Oct 10, 2014 at 14:29

1 Answer 1


This is not possible, as you view it. Conservation of energy

IN: 10V*10uA == 100uW

OUT: 50*1A = 50W.

You will need a power amplifier to take the small-signal AC to increase the power capability

  • \$\begingroup\$ yeah, which one? or should I amplify that signal, then step it up? I need parts. Please Advise. I can add supplemental power no problem. \$\endgroup\$
    – j0h
    Oct 10, 2014 at 12:05
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ you would need an amp that could source >5A at 12MHz. A classAB could do it if you could manage the losses. \$\endgroup\$
    – user16222
    Oct 10, 2014 at 12:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.