enter image description here

I apologize in advance, if this isn't the right place to ask this. I want to find out, what kind of electronic device this is. The tape recorder is just on top of it, but I am talking about the device beneath it. It is integrated into a metal suitcase, it is manufactured by Siemens, and the keyboard doesn't have letters on it, but instead has weird combinations of letters on it, like OMN, OA etc.

  • \$\begingroup\$ IT'S A BOMB!!! RUN!!! :) \$\endgroup\$
    – Majenko
    Nov 1, 2014 at 23:08
  • \$\begingroup\$ I didn't know Siemens manufactured explosives ;) \$\endgroup\$ Nov 1, 2014 at 23:09
  • \$\begingroup\$ Looks like an old assembler :) \$\endgroup\$
    – klcjr89
    Nov 1, 2014 at 23:12
  • \$\begingroup\$ Closeup of keyboard and other legends may help, e.g. around the keyswitch on the left. (And is there a model number next to "Siemens"? And whatever you do, don't cut the blue wire. \$\endgroup\$ Nov 1, 2014 at 23:17
  • \$\begingroup\$ You mean red wire...? \$\endgroup\$
    – Majenko
    Nov 1, 2014 at 23:18

1 Answer 1


May be an old plc programmer. The text of the three positions of the key may help to discover. Also the identification of the sub-D connectors. Could you tell us?

It seems to be a PLC programmer from the age of no-pc-at-home. The PLCs had very little RAM (a few Kbs) and only proprietary interfaces. I have never seen a programmer that big, just handheld devices. In fact, nowadays Siemens programmers are pc-based devices but still called suitcases.

  • \$\begingroup\$ I have just zoomed in to the key switch on the image. I can make out 2 of the three words. They're in German: "auslesen" (select), "einlesen" (read in), and the third position looks like "text <something> halt". \$\endgroup\$
    – Majenko
    Nov 1, 2014 at 23:20
  • \$\begingroup\$ The key positions say: "Auslesen" "Einlesen" "Test bei Halt" which means: read, write, test on hold/test at hold \$\endgroup\$ Nov 1, 2014 at 23:21
  • \$\begingroup\$ The Round connectors on the right say SS and MB, the parallel port beneath says DR \$\endgroup\$ Nov 1, 2014 at 23:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ The LEDs next to the screen are saying: STAT, VKE, Betrieb (Operation) \$\endgroup\$ Nov 1, 2014 at 23:23
  • \$\begingroup\$ Are there any key on the keyboard that says U, A, O, SP, SPN, E? Those are common Siemens plc commands. Any ref to S5 model? \$\endgroup\$ Nov 1, 2014 at 23:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.