I'm trying to learn to use Altium and am having a really difficult time finding components. I discovered capacitors and resistors in
Vault Explorer->Unified Components->Components - Generic, but how do I find other basic elements such as LEDs?
I tried searching the vault for
LED, but there are thousands of search results and I can't figure out a way to specify a package type (I'm wanting 0805).
I assume it's a good idea to try to avoid making new components in Altium (i.e. re-inventing the wheel) because it takes a long time.
To my knowledge, making a new component in Altium requires these steps (at a minimum):
- Creating a new schematic and PCB library or adding existing ones to the project
- Finding the IPC footprint standards document
- Create the footprint (add the pads, draw the outlines, etc.)
- Create the 3D model
- Attach 3D model to footprint
- Create the schematic symbol
- Add footprint to schematic symbol
- Add 3D model to schematic symbol
- Edit pins to match between schematic symbol and PCB footprint
- Fill in all of the other information for the component
For me, at least, all of this takes a really long time!