I am currently working on a simple circuit which includes creating duty cycle from DC. Also, I need to change it's pulse width with time. I have decided to use op-amp relaxation oscillator to produce square waves but I have no idea how to chance it's width. I am allowed to use resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, OPAPs, transistors and relays.

enter image description here

My question is how can I create a circuit which produces duty cycle and it's pulse width is changing with time as shown at the picture above.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Not that your question isn't perfectly valid, but why in the world would you eliminate the IC that's probably most suitable for this task? \$\endgroup\$ – Scott Seidman Dec 12 '14 at 21:46
  • \$\begingroup\$ Because that's what his homework says :P \$\endgroup\$ – Majenko Dec 12 '14 at 21:52
  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ Just design it with a 555, then delete the 555 and replace it with the 555's internal schematic :D \$\endgroup\$ – Majenko Dec 12 '14 at 21:55
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Look at a 555 equivalent diagram and see how it achieves duty cycle control using a two level comparator and charge and discharge circuitry. Go and do functionally likewise. That's the other end of the approach that Majenko suggests - destination should be the ame. \$\endgroup\$ – Russell McMahon Dec 12 '14 at 23:20
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Majeko is right that's my homework's restriction \$\endgroup\$ – sercand Dec 12 '14 at 23:30

Use the relaxation oscillator to make a ramp or triangle wave and then compare that wave's voltage to a DC voltage that you can control (for example with a potentiometer).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.