I understand electronics deals with mainly low voltages, while electrical engineering generally deals with high voltage. Now if we take this as the main difference between the two , where do we put power electronics? Is it a branch of electronics or electrical ?

Also I have seen in many universities power electronics is not taught in electronics engineering courses but definitely in electrical engineering which means it is electrical engineering.

So is there a definite/near definite answer to my question? If yes what is that?


closed as primarily opinion-based by Michael Karas, Leon Heller, Ricardo, Scott Seidman, Daniel Grillo Feb 1 '15 at 16:18

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Electrical engineering is an enormous field with a plethora of subfields from the generation and transmission of electric power, to process control, down to the 14nm fabrication process. People dedicate their entire careers to their chosen subfields. It's all electrical engineering. As you're finding, everyone has an opinion of what to call electrical engineering. Opinions are like elbows, and everybody has them. \$\endgroup\$ – Matt Young Jan 31 '15 at 17:53

The various names for you are using are not standard. For example, where I went to school (RPI), there was electrical engineering and electric power engineering. The first was the kind of circuits you'd find in a TV, for example, while the second was about utility-scale power systems. I have also heard these two referred to as electronic engineering and electrical engineering. Sometimes the term electronics applies to the first but not the second, sometimes to everything electrical.

So your question makes no sense without defining how exactly you are using your terms. What exactly do you mean by "power electronics". If that is the utility-scale power systems, then it is electric power engineering, or whatever it might be called in your area or at your university. If by "power electronics" you mean things like 200 W class D audio amplifiers or 1 kW inverters, then those would usually be designed by a electrical engineer as apposed to a electric power engineer (or again, whatever your regional terms for those are).

  • \$\begingroup\$ Can we say power electronics a branch of electronics? \$\endgroup\$ – gpuguy Jan 31 '15 at 17:28
  • \$\begingroup\$ You can say whatever you want, but without defining your terms that statement would be meaningless. \$\endgroup\$ – Olin Lathrop Jan 31 '15 at 17:45

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.