I'm about to commence building a project that's basically a USB-controlled dimmer. I think the main components will be:
- Velleman K8064 voltage-controlled dimmer
- Phidget 1018 usb interface board
- Australian mains socket (into which I'll plug a lamp)
- IEC mains socket (into which I'll plug a power supply lead)
- a pretty plastic enclosure
I'm not so much concerned about the project working, but as this is my first project involving mains power I'd rather not build something that electrocutes me, or burns down my house.
Could someone with some experience in the field please recommend some best practices, and / or some online resources, suitable for project builders new to mains power?