What is a conductive temperature probe called? They're relatively massy metal rods (5-8mm thick, 5-15cm long) that have a single conductor (NOT 2 conductor wire) to connect to the thermostat.

The connecting conductor wire is reasonably thick to (presumably) conduct the heat effectively to the measuring device.

I replaced one in my oven, and my spa has one too.

(I ask, because I broke the wire on my spa one, and searching the internet without a technical continually brings up thermo couples and other sensors)

Updated to help others: I'm looking at something like this is the sort of thing: Thermostat

  • \$\begingroup\$ It's called a thermocouple. Search on any of the appliance repair sites and you'll probably find a replacement. \$\endgroup\$ – EM Fields Feb 4 '15 at 7:42
  • \$\begingroup\$ From thermocoupleinfo.com: "Thermocouples consist of two wire legs made from different metals. The wires legs are welded together at one end, creating a junction... When the junction experiences a change in temperature, a voltage is created.". One conductor/wire, therefore no voltage. If it is a thermo couple (makes sense from the name, after all), then it must be a specific type that I can't find the name of. \$\endgroup\$ – Stephen Feb 4 '15 at 7:55
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ The housing is the other conductor. \$\endgroup\$ – EM Fields Feb 4 '15 at 8:21
  • \$\begingroup\$ Awesome - thanks. So is there a name for this type of thermocouple? So the housing (my "conductor" turns out to be very mildly hollow if it's not crushed) is a conductor, then what's the other conductor? It does have an acidic smelling liquid inside (could it be a chemical reaction from getting wet?). \$\endgroup\$ – Stephen Feb 4 '15 at 10:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ And... not fixable - it seems I need to replace. I've found the replacement thermostat but I don't particularly want to shell out $100... so I just need to figure out what type it is and then search for replacement couples? \$\endgroup\$ – Stephen Feb 4 '15 at 10:31

This task is often performed by a theromocouple, such as EMFields describe.
However ...

Your device is a "Capillary Thermostat". The sensor is filled with a substance which increases in pressure with heating and a bellows in the control end actuates a switch at a preset temperature. Once broken they are essentially not repairable.

You may be able to find a direct equivalent elsewhere and other versions which cover the same temperature range and which have the same electrical contacts could be used as a replacement.
As ever, YMMV.*

Another seller here - $ unknown.

Often a very good source if they have something suitable.

[Wikipedia - also known as a 'freeze stat'])(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze_stat)

Real world examples

and more

Lots of pictures - all linked tro related web pages.

*YMMV - Your Mileage WILL Vary.

  • \$\begingroup\$ I did think that crimp in the bottom was significant somehow... also turns out I had no clue and linked to a High Limit breaker rather than an adjustable... but you still came through! \$\endgroup\$ – Stephen Feb 4 '15 at 11:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.