-1
\$\begingroup\$

I have an appliance that has the wires connected well and it has been grounded (earthed). If I accidentally get into contact with a live wire will I get electrocuted considering it has already been earthed?

\$\endgroup\$
1

1 Answer 1

1
\$\begingroup\$

Getting into contact with a live wire will likely cause electrocution.

If an appliance is earthed, this prevents you getting electrocuted from exposed metal parts should they somehow come into contact with a live connection. When this happens the fuse will blow and the live connection will be dead.

Directly coming into contact with a live wire (that is still live) means electrocution irrespective of the exposed metal parts being earthed. Don't try this at home.

\$\endgroup\$
2
  • \$\begingroup\$ Or at school ... \$\endgroup\$
    – HKOB
    Feb 9, 2015 at 12:25
  • \$\begingroup\$ Or anywhere really \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Feb 9, 2015 at 12:46

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.