is there an electrical component that exists that would act similar to a potentiometer, but could be turned either clockwise or counterclockwise past a middle point, and would either release positive or negative voltage depending on which direction past that point?

So for example, you would turn it left to release a negative voltage, and turn it back to the right to release a positive voltage.

If this doesn't exist, is there a simple circuit I could create to emulate this ability?



Here you are:


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab

Yes, it's exactly the same circuit you've already been doing with ground in a different place.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Sorry, but could you briefly explain the diagram to me? \$\endgroup\$ – LimitedBacon Feb 18 '15 at 2:57
  • \$\begingroup\$ The diagram is a potentiometer where ground is not connected to one of the ends of the potentiometer, but is instead at some arbitrary point in between the two ends. \$\endgroup\$ – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Feb 18 '15 at 3:15
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I would like to comment that for this application the potentiometer should be one selected as a 'linear' resistance characteristic. Any tapered or log curve pot will not have its half resistance point in the center of rotation. \$\endgroup\$ – Michael Karas Feb 18 '15 at 4:42
  • \$\begingroup\$ Assuming both voltages are equal. It is possible to use unequal voltages with a log or antilog pot and end up with 0V in the middle of the dial, although I can't come up with any use cases for such a setup. \$\endgroup\$ – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Feb 18 '15 at 18:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.