I bought a few bc417 serial Bluetooth modules which have pins that look like this:

pad specification

Is there a standard name for this kind of pin? I believe I can treat them like any other SMD pin, but I'm curious what the dents are for. Are they intended for a header pin to go there somehow? Just keeping your iron from slipping? Something else? What's the recommend way to attach these to a board?


1 Answer 1


Those are castellations. They provide a larger surface area for the solder to wet when the module is surface-mount soldered to another board. They can be used to hold a pin in order to convert the module into a through-hole device, but such a practice is rarely done.

  • \$\begingroup\$ ...unless you are a hobbyst that uses breadboards :P +1 \$\endgroup\$ Mar 7, 2015 at 20:36
  • \$\begingroup\$ Only if the module has 2.54mm centers on opposite sides. \$\endgroup\$ Mar 7, 2015 at 20:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.