I'm super new to electronics and am wondering if there is anything that behaves like the reverse of a shift register... as in parallel in and serial out instead of serial in and parallel out. I know there are multiplexers, but they don't seem to operate in the same way as a shift register (with latch and clock signals), thanks.

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Do a Google search for "parallel to serial shift register". I use the CD4021 but there are others. \$\endgroup\$ Apr 4 '15 at 18:48
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ The Parallel In - Serial out can do this for you. \$\endgroup\$
    – nidhin
    Apr 4 '15 at 18:49
  • \$\begingroup\$ The circuit is called a 'Parallel-Load Shift Register'. \$\endgroup\$ Apr 4 '15 at 21:00
  • \$\begingroup\$ One of you should provide a response so I can mark it as the correct answer... helped a lot with finding a good part \$\endgroup\$ Apr 15 '15 at 0:23

A parallel-in, serial-out shift register (PISO) can read several parallel inputs (usually 8) and serially output the data. Much like a SIPO shift register, a PISO has an internal storage register that always contains the states of the parallel inputs. When the "load" pin is pulsed, the contents of the storage register are transferred into the internal shift register. Then when the "clock" pin is pulsed, the data bits in the shift register are shifted one bit over toward the serial output. PISO shift registers can also be cascaded by connecting the serial input of one register to the previous register's serial output.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.