I'm doing a bit of reverse engineering on my Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate. I'm beginning to develop a pretty good understanding of the circuitry, but I am confused about one type of component on the board.

There are 4-5 components on this board with the reference designator of LB. This isn't a standard refdes that I'm aware of and I can't think of anything that I would label as LB. What might this component be? You can see one of them pictured here near the smaller connector.

Picture of board with unidentified component

Description: They look to be about the same size as an 0805 capacitor but gray instead of that brownish color of a cap. It isn't as dark as a resistor either.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Any chance that is "FB"? Ferrite Bead? \$\endgroup\$ – Dwayne Reid Apr 14 '15 at 22:55
  • \$\begingroup\$ Measure the DC resistance. \$\endgroup\$ – Dwayne Reid Apr 14 '15 at 22:55
  • \$\begingroup\$ It appears to be LB not FB, and unfortunately my multimeter is currently out of commission. \$\endgroup\$ – Michael Leonard Apr 14 '15 at 23:07

It is likely a ferrite bead. The lb would stand for inductor bead. Looking at the board it may be a filter on the small connector's power or ground pin.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Yes that appears to be the case. They are placed near all of the connectors that carry power as well as on the output of the only on-board LDO. Can't imagine why they'd use LB rather than FB but oh well. Thanks! \$\endgroup\$ – Michael Leonard Apr 15 '15 at 0:06
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @MichaelLeonard Well, L would be the normal ref des for an inductor, so it makes sense. \$\endgroup\$ – Roger Rowland Apr 15 '15 at 3:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.