This question already has an answer here:

I want to fix my laptop charger cord, I used a multimeter to check the voltage and it gives me less than one volt. It feels very flexible near the plug, but I don't know if I can cut before or after the part marked in red. What is this part used for? Can I remove the red part?enter image description here


marked as duplicate by The Photon, Community May 3 '15 at 4:14

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Also: electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/133937/… \$\endgroup\$ – The Photon May 3 '15 at 3:45
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ That help too, the problem is that the title of the question dont give much information \$\endgroup\$ – Pulse9 May 3 '15 at 4:14
  • \$\begingroup\$ I agree this kind of question is really hard to search for. But also for the same reason your new question wouldn't be much help to future readers, so there's no real reason to keep more than one of these questions "active". \$\endgroup\$ – The Photon May 3 '15 at 4:18

It's a ferrite bead. It suppresses high frequency noise.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.